Monday, November 15, 2010

Update

I thought I'd come back and write something here because I haven't done so in a month, I think. One of the things I did in the mean time was starting to learn assembly. My main goal is to cover my bases, so to speak, and learn the fundamentals of computers and computer science, and I thought that learning assembly would provide that. I haven't started writing code because the book that I'm learning from (Assembly Language Step-by-Step: Programming with Linux) is big, but I'm close to that point and I'm looking forward to it.

So far I like the book. It starts really slow, which is a bit annoying but to be expected considering it's for people with assembly as their first programming language (I wonder how many people start with assembly), but then goes into a lot of detail and careful explanation in order to make you understand what's going on. It has analogies and a lot of drawings which are so useful for visual learners. That's all I can say for now. I'll add to this once I finish the book.

Oh, and here's something inspiring. A guy who wrote his own compiler, editor, OS and a few others.

No comments:

Post a Comment